1. We own the DVD, so do we still need a licence to view or show it in public?
  2. Yes. The location requires a licence regardless of who owns the audiovisual work. While you may own the actual DVD, you are only granted the right to view it in your home, not to show it in public.
  1. We don’t charge admission. Do we still need a licence?
  2. Yes. A licence is required regardless of whether an admission fee is charged. However, the Umbrella Licence covers only those situations where admission is not charged.
  1. We’re a non-profit organisation / public benefit organisation. Do we still need a licence?
  2. Yes. Under the law, it doesn’t matter if you’re a non-profit or for-profit organisation. You are required to have a public performance licence to show motion pictures and other audiovisual works.
  1. How much does the Umbrella Licence cost?
  2. In most cases, the MPLC has set licence fees based on the type and size of facility. However, if the facility and/or use falls outside of these categories, the fee will be based on the nature and size of the audience and anticipated frequency of showings.
  1. Does a school require a licence?
  2. Yes. Whenever a film is shown in a classroom, or elsewhere on the school premises, a public performance licence is required.
  1. We show films on our closed-circuit system. Do we need a licence?
  2. Yes. Exhibition of works via closed-circuit transmissions are considered public performances. Any non-advertiser supported channels or services require a licence.
  1. We’re not open to the general public. Do we still need a licence?
  2. Yes. Even if the guests are limited to members-only, any location outside of the home is considered public for copyright purposes and requires a licence.
  1. We rent out our facility to other groups. Can we be liable for copyright infringement?
  2. Yes. The facility owner can be held vicariously liable or considered a "contributory infringer".

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the MPLC at (021) 465-6449 or contact us.


Rights Holder? Click here