The MPLC Umbrella Licence for Day Schools

Movies are Ubiquitous on School Campuses

Now more than ever schools are using the “magic of the movies” to provide quality entertainment and enhance educational programmes. As you may be aware, all of the following activities require a public performance licence by law:

  • Film adaptations of favorite books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules make for exciting assemblies.
  • Student groups are generating revenue through movie fundraisers.
  • Parent-teacher organisations are organising movie nights to bring families together.
  • Before and after-school programmes supplement activities with movies.
  • Short educational programmes like The Magic School Bus are perfect for rainy day breaks.

While your school or district may have a policy in place for exhibitions held during school hours, with various groups and organisations using school property before, during, and after school, it is virtually impossible to ensure copyright compliance at all times. A school can even be considered a “contributory infringer” for allowing unlicensed exhibitions to occur on its campus.

The MPLC Umbrella Licence for Day Schools

Maybe your school already has a public performance licence for most of the major Hollywood studios. However, if your school does not currently hold the MPLC Umbrella Licence® for Day Schools you are missing out on exclusive annual copyright coverage for over 390 educational, children’s, documentary, international, and specialty producers including Scholastic Entertainment, History Channel, and Discovery Channel!

Want to show favorites Madagascar or Despicable me as a special treat? Make sure you have the assurance of copyright compliance.

Affordable Pricing for Day Schools

Your entire school can be covered for unlimited exhibitions before, during, and after-school for one low fee. ; Pricing is based on your school’s full-time enrollment.

Greater discounts are available when you licence three or more campuses. Please contact the MPLC to discuss group pricing, or to find out about any special offers that may be running. Whether this is your school’s first public performance licence, or your school is simply seeking supplemental coverage, the Umbrella Licence is an affordable way to ensure copyright compliance and enhance programming options.

The Simple Solution

Whenever a movie is shown in a classroom, a licence is required. This includes during breaks, any before or after-school exhibitions, holiday parties, parent-teacher organisation events, guest lectures or assemblies, movie “rewards” for students, and any entertainment use on the school grounds.

The Umbrella Licence makes copyright compliance easy because it is facility-based. Your school is covered whether students watch an episode of MythBusters during a rainy day break or the school governing body sponsors a family screening of Shrek.  With affordable pricing, one organisation can pay for the licence to ensure compliance within the entire school. Once licensed, movies can be obtained from any legitimate source and shown without any further reporting. With the confidence of copyright compliance, you’re free to explore and encourage the wide range of programming ideas that are at your fingertips.

Get Licensed and Ensure Copyright Compliance!

If your school has not allowed motion picture programming in the past, now is the time.  While there may be guidelines for DVD use that occurs during the school day, it is difficult to monitor use that occurs outside of school hours.  Such use requires a licence, and the Umbrella Licence makes copyright compliance easy. The Umbrella Licence provides your school with public performance protection before, during, and after school — all for one low annual fee. Once licensed you can obtain movies from any legitimate source. Best of all, movies provide simple, affordable entertainment for your entire school community.

To obtain a licence, simply call us on (021) 465-6449 to receive your application form, and submit your completed application to our office via email, or post. Upon receipt, your application will be processed, and your Certificate of Licence and either a receipt of payment or an invoice will be mailed. Once licensed, you can immediately begin programming movies obtained from any legitimate source, whether rented, purchased, or borrowed.